Friday, December 12, 2014

On Turning 62


THIS birthday is a welcome one, as I have been missing my salary post-retirement and will receive my first Social Security check on February 18.

As my blog header says, life has continued to throw it's curves. I just spent my first entire summer in Kino: too hot, too humid, too many bugs, hurricane.  I think I became so depressed this summer that it's been slow to dissipate with the return of great weather and my snowbird friends. And even THAT is different, as some of them aren't going to be here until after New Years, and one isn't coming at all this year. 

Events in the states have me sad and disgusted as well:the bigotry and racism actually make me ill.
Am almost ready to give up. Throw in the towel and move to another country. Oh, wait, already did...

I fail to understand. Ferguson. Bullying-caused suicide. Anti-Immigration. I don't even understand looting: where in one's background can a child ever hear/see that looting is OK?

I grew up in Minnesota, never really even met anyone of color until high school. Despite my mother having been raised by a racist, she knew not to "let it out", and it actually stayed hidden until her dementia hit hard. So it never occurred to me to judge and find wanting. There was only mild curiosity and an eagerness to learn about someone different from me. Children learn bigotry early. I guess I thought once my parents' generation were dead that we'd be home-free. Unfortunately, the kids are still learning it, and I think it's being beaten into them now. Here's a quote that appeared on my OWN Facebook page, a relative, a young adult with a child that will also someday disseminate the fear, hatred, judging, bigotry, racism, and venom.

"Hey Mr. Obama I hope slip an fall on 2 aids dicks while ur n China for vets day...."

Nice, huh? Mighty Christian. Racial prejudice AND homophobia all in one sentence. I suppose the good news is this one only has one child of his own (so far) so perhaps in time, HER children will not inherit the bigotry gene...

Sorry, long segue.

SO! 62. Sure does show. The bladder can't be trusted, the knees can't tolerate extra weight, the loose flesh actually is quite distracting while reading in bed (jiggles on the periphery of my visual field), and for the first time since I was 10, I can't drink coffee any more without horrific heartburn. Trying to switch to herbal tea, lest I begin drinking gin and tonic too early in the day. Find myself wanting my supper before 5 PM sometimes...

I watch for signs of dementia, as the females in my family were rife with it, but so far I think I'm OK. And to those who believe my recently-acquired intolerance of poor behavior in anyone is the onset of dementia? My new mantra is:




I just really wish I'd learned that at 9 years old instead of in my 60s. 

My days are tranquil for the most part. I do see friends and neighbors some, I learn stuff (internet), I watch a good bit of TV, I watch the hummingbirds. They go through a quart of nectar in 24 hours, counted 20 at one time, at the feeder that only has 12 holes. Stacked up like planes at LAX. And I look for properties to buy in Minnesota.


No more summers in Kino for me. We intend to maybe drag our lemon of a travel trailer to Minnesota this June and buy a small cabin somewhere. My caveat is it must have water to look at: lake, river, pond, I don't care. Any water will have ducks and geese. Ron's caveat: as much hunting land as possible, and preferably adjacent to state or county land. I have 75 or so properties "saved" on various websites, not that any of them will still be available when we get there, but there'll be fresh ones by then. Here's my current favorite:

Sebeka MN Cabin on the Crow River
followed by this one:
Cook MN Cabin on the Sturgeon River

So that keeps me occupied also, scoping out our future summer home. I've been more sedentary, perhaps a bit agoraphobic, staying inside and avoiding contact with people somewhat. Not sure what that's all about, but not going to worry or apologize for it. It is what it is.

Lots to look forward to: More friends here soon. Social Security checks! Minnesota and grandbabies! And tomorrow night is dinner out at one of my favorite restaurants with our friends to celebrate my turning 62. Life is good!







1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Barb! So glad you survived the summer. I, too, am finding it difficult to stay upbeat with all that has been happening here, and with SO many crazies, it seems, just out to get theirs regardless of who gets hurt. It helps to focus on the smaller, positive things within my own circle of influence. Thinking good thoughts for you, and hope your cabin hunt is successful!

    ReplyDelete