Monday, March 30, 2015

Changes!

There have been multiple OMG! moments the last few weeks. Since I began receiving my own Social Security income, we've been able to do "catch-up". Photos at the end.


  • New laptop. (The recliner inexplicably crushed the screen on the old one, which was an old one.)
  • New internet service. Had Hughes for 12 years, now have Exede. Faster. And pricier...
  • New toilet. Pat broke our old one.
  • New truck tires. One imploded coming home from the dump last week.
  • New mini-split air conditioners, bedroom and living room, after having 2 whole straw bale walls "melt" from the condensation of the window AC's. Actually quite proud of this: Ron and I went to Home Depot in Hermosillo and bought them, arranged for them to come install them, and managed to get through the installation despite the language barrier! Mostly thanks to Google Translate and the new laptop...
  • Catching up on the bills.
  • New kitchen counter in progress. The existing one was ceramic tile on particle board, insufficient grout seal, lifting tiles and crud. Karen and I get to go to Calle Doce tomorrow and pick out tile!
  • Travel trailer refurbishment in progress. There was water damage from the hurricane and rains because the roof leaked. Needs electrical and probably plumbing repairs. That trailer's going to Minnesota with us in June!
  • Yard cleaned up. Hired Richard to load my truck with all the junk and debris we've been collecting for 8 years, took it to the dump. Cost $30. I paid that once just to dump one sofa in Minnesota.
  • Gardening. Hired Richard to make troughs around my 5 trees and bouganvillea plants to make it easier for Jack to water for us in our absence. The rest of the plants (all cacti) can sink or swim.
PLUS I've been able to replenish some necessaries, finally! New warm bathrobe. My beloved vintage chenille rose-print bathrobe was absolutely threadbare. Rain boots and raincoat: discovered my old raincoat was not waterproof during the hurricane. (D'oh!) And a couple of not-necessary-but-coveted items: black sequin high-top Converses. A sterling silver pendant cage for my purple pearl that I found in my steamed clams at Jorge's restaurant 8 years ago.



Kitchen counter replacement in progress.

Sequinned Converses!

New toilet

Mini-split AC above bathroom door

Mini-split above bedroom window.

AC condensers on roof.

Cage for my pearl
My clam pearl!
My new bathrobe.
So my mood is great, I have enthusiasm for the future, and pride in what we've accomplished. Plus the weather here is absolutely effing perfect right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment