Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm an orphan!

My mother passed away Jan. 18, after 12 years with Alzheimer's disease. Hospice waited to start morphine until I got to see her, and she died the next morning.

I'm staying at my son Jon's house, and a more alive, vibrant household does not exist. I'm listening to them all downstairs watching football, kids playing. Laughter, shouting, cheering, jeering. My ex-husband lives here, too, and I know for a fact that watching sports with his son ranks #1 on his list of Best Moments, perhaps tied with having Nora and Dylan tucked into each armpit watching cartoons.

I'm wearing a macaroni necklace, courtesy of Nora.

Plus, today is Nora's 4th birthday, and we had a delightful day with Ron's daughter Julie, husband Leben, and my grandchildren Ruby and Eli here to help celebrate. Nora wanted a Princess theme, and she got it.

Tutu, wand, tiara, check! Ready for anything!

Delighted birthday girl, listening to us sing the Happy Birthday Song.

Blowing out her candles after shouting "I wish for a DINOSAUR!!!"

Ruby, Nora, Eli, and Dylan.


I finally just had my one and only grief/crying/pity-party-moment, and it's over. (And I was outside, smoking, and my tears froze on my cheeks!) I don't know why my mother couldn't love me, but I did love her.

Tomorrow is the viewing, Tuesday is the funeral. I've heard from friends and family far and wide, and am expecting some terrific reunions over the next few days.  It's colder than bejeesus here in Minnesota, and I'm missing my sunny warm household in Mexico, but am mighty content amid this family of mine. They love me, I adore them, and life is good!





4 comments:

  1. Barb, I'm so sorry for you loss. I know you didn't have the best of relationships with your mom but a child still feels a certain loyalty towards their parent. Enjoy the family reunion that is always a part of funerals.

    My goodness but those g'kids of yours are cute. And they look enough alike to be confused for siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences.
    I kind of know where you are coming from as I went through this last August with my mom also. I am also an orphan now.
    Sounds like we had similar "mom" situations over the years.
    Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your Mom, hang in for now! Keep loving your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathies to you at the death of your mom. You are a wise daughter to love your mom despite whatever wedged b/n you.

    And the birthday girl, well, you just have to smile at a 4-year-old who wishes for a dinosaur. So typical of that age. Such fun.

    ReplyDelete