Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Dialysis Nurse Retires


Found my cap!


After 36 years as a dialysis nurse, I only have two more shifts to work. Over the years, I've often been asked if I recommend this area of nursing as a career. I don't, never have.


  • It's physically demanding: long hours, no sit-down tasks, fast-paced and high stress. It's a young person's job, and I'm 60. When I was young, there were no 60 years old nurses still doing this. I really do pity the people that have to work with me. Sometimes.
  • It's really sad: 90% of the patients die. Usually within 5 years. There's no cure, only the hope of a transplant.
  • An outpatient hemodialysis clinic is not a very happy place, the patients all hate going there and it affects one's mood.
  • The money's good, but the health insurance is abysmal.


It's never boring, though. And if it gets too repetitive, there are many areas within nephrology nursing to try. My favorite job of all time? Pediatric Nephrology Coordinator at UCSD. Those kids and babies were delightful, for the most part, as were the Pediatric Nephrologists and other nurses.
Second favorite: Inservice nurse for the largest dialysis supplier. I got to fly somewhere Monday morning, train staff all week, fly home Fridays. Rarely had to see those people again.
Third favorite: teaching patients how to do dialysis at home. Except that one required too much on-call. I became their mother, and they had my phone number.
Least favorite: teaching staff to become dialysis Patient Care Techs. At least 3/4 of them wash out once they discover that actual work, thinking, planning, and responsibility are required.

I will not miss it, just the money. But thanks to Viet Nam, my spouse makes enough for us to live out our retirement on the beach in Mexico. Come visit us!
On the roof, watching the ocean.


Shelling


ATV-ing

On the roof again.



2 comments:

  1. You must be so excited, Barb. The anticipation must be almost unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a retired nurse and here what you are saying. You look so happy in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete