Sunday, May 23, 2010

How the crochet-thing started.

New weekly Question/Answer for my Create Crochet Team. Non-crafters feel free to skip this one.

I used to be a corporate-suit-n-heels nurse educator. But in 2000, my arthritis finished eroding the vertebrae in my neck and I had to have fusions: three of them. They "harvest" bone from your hipbone to graft into your spine, and THAT hurt much worse than the neck. But only the first two fusions, because (thankfully) I only had two hips. The third surgery used bone from the Bone Bank.

So with my head and neck firmly encased in a torture-cage-contraption, suddenly I'm on disability, housebound and  immobile. I didn't drink alcohol (was sober 16 years), and the pain meds didn't work nearly as long as I wished they would, so I HAD to find something to occupy my mind. I got a giant crochet hook, a ton of WalMart yarn, and an afghan pattern book. Everyone got afghans for Christmas. Great big thick ones. Whether they wanted one or not. After I recovered, I stopped. Besides, everyone I knew had afghans already, and that was the only pattern book I had.

A few years later, I was shown a felted tote bag, made by a friend with a sheep farm. I had never seen felted wool before, only accidentally-felted Pendleton shirts. (D'oh!) So thick and sturdy, no stitch definition, it absolutely fascinated me that you could create a dense fabric like that from yarn! This bag was knitted, but I wondered if crocheting wool would work. Of course, I googled the topic first, and was delighted others had thought of it already.

Short attention span and all, I started with small projects: baby booties and amulet bags. They were gorgeous. And once I figured out how much shrinkage my crocheting did, I was able to free-form without patterns. If you didn't see it, I wrote a blog about felting before. Click  I also inherited a bin of bedspread cotton from a friend, and they made lovely, delicate amulet bags. I still wear the first one I made.

7 comments:

  1. And so it all began - and how you are so to speak "hooked"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all your pain & surgery,but Very cool story. I love Felt, I find it amazing although I havent tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! It's always fun to hear how others began hooking ;) and this "question of the week" should be interesting!

    I found out about felting about a year or so ago from my daughter--she does dry felting. I don't have much patience for that, but I do like wet felting!

    Following!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful story - thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to try felting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, what an adventure. Sure glad you came back to the "HOOK" and continued. Thanks for sharing.

    http://mariannematicic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds painful! But good came from it! And your creations are lovely. :)
    Loose Threads

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about a comment from a male. Hi Barb: Love your booties!! But not my color!

    Moisheh

    ReplyDelete