Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Minnesota Summer

Can't believe we've been here almost 3 months. It's going so fast! Half of me is glad, as I'm SO homesick for Mexico, but half feels like I won't be able to "fill up" enough on the grandkids to sustain me until I get back.

I'm not working very hard, just 3 days a week and most of those are only 8 hour shifts. About time. Those 15 hour days are Old-Nurse-Killers.

When I'm not working, I've been at the VA a lot.They do a great job, I'm surprised and grateful to discover. So far, I've had 2 CT scans, a cystoscopy, multiple blood draws, surgery consult (hemorrhoids), and mental health workup for Alzheimer's testing and grief counseling. I begin the actual therapy this afternoon.

We've had enough rain. Stop now.

Jon's doing SO well as a single dad, with the assistance of Grampa Nay downstairs as resident Nanny. Yes, the divorce is final. The babies are happy, well-adjusted, and getting along together. Jon's summer job (some desk-computer-type) at the college is paying the bills and has been extended through the fall when he gets into his FINAL phase of his master's program.

Here are some Minnesota Summer photos. You can click on them to enlarge.


Nora and Dylan at Lake Mille Lacs, Photoshopped

Eli the Bike King

Dylan, family barbeque. Note Jon's ponytail in the background.

Dylan, Jon, Scotty, Beer, Mississippi River, Ron

Miss Nora, Beer

Grampa Brian, Beer, Scotty, Jon

Sienna, Aunt Julie, Gramma Joy, Beer

And I've been making lots of these. They're starting to sell. Buy them here:

Other than loving the grandbabies, VA appointments, crocheting booties, working, and drinking beer, there's not much else going on. Rocky's slowing down at 14, sleeps most of the time either in the recliner or a lawn chair. I'm starting to want another dog, but not a lab. I still get teary when I even see one on the street. Will report news if any occurs. Hope it doesn't, "news" ages me.

 Rocky in his lawn chair.

Update! Turns out today wasn't therapy after all. It was dementia testing (requested by Ron, given my family history.)  I have ZERO memory deficits. If I remember correctly...

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been in a wonderful area! And your grandkids are adorable (as is Rocky, of course)! And I'm liking your fuzzy slippers -- they look cozy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbilou,
    Slowing down you definately are not doing. And that is fine! Hope all goes well with the VA results. Your grandchildren are absolutely gorgeous, (your son is eye candy too!). I may be getting older, but I do appreciate the sights:0)
    Enjoy your time, make lots of memories and remember the definition of "Worry: The misuse of one'e Imagination."
    Your imagination and creativity is so valuable to be misused :0)
    ENJOY EACH AND EVERY DAY.....IT'S MANDATORY :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb - It's great to know you are soaking up the grandkids and family, and that things are going well overall. Such a different world from Mexico, yet both worlds so cherished. Keep enjoying (and crocheting). Hope you make a windfall on the slippers - they're great!

    ReplyDelete