Monday, November 29, 2010

Lazy Days in Paradise

Thanksgiving was OK this year, much improved from last year. Went to the RV park for dinner, where they made 3 turkeys, mashed potatoes, gravy, and stuffing. We brought side dishes and desserts. (Ours was Freeda's Cranberry Salad, much requested and a favorite.) It wouldn't unmold, though, ? Mexican Jello? No matter, scooped out fine.Not many RVers here yet, I think we were only 25 or so. Then Sunday we went down again for lunch: turkey soup and sandwiches. REALLY good!

Have been extra lazy, lots of internet-browsing, movie-watching, and reading. The weather turned a bit cooler, only upper 70s in the sun, but feels much cooler in the shade and inside. Gets into the 50s overnight and I've used the furnace in the RV several nights.

Had fun watching the mourning doves mob my birdbath. There were so many!






Look in the tree on the left, plus the group on the ground! They emptied the birdbath in 20 minutes.



I put up and decorated our little Christmas tree, and added a star(fish) as a topper.






And just a couple more random shots: our old guy Rocky (nicknamed Fat Bastard), and the sign I painted on an old board for the front door.






I have a project now that will put paid to my lazy spell. I was volunteered to make quilts for Christmas to give to the villagers. The quilt tops were made by an elderly woman in the states who is blind in one eye and can't see well out of the other one. The quilt tops are all different sizes and not quite square. My job is to cut out backs from fleece fabric, sew them together, topstitch the edges, and delegate the tying to the non-sewing-machine-owners out here. Turns out there are only 3 other women here that sew and have machines with them. And 30 quilts to do, and all before Christmas. And the fleece fabric for the backs won't be here til this weekend. Oy.

My other current project is re-doing my coyote skull/bones/shells wreath. It wouldn't hang right, too heavy for the wire I used as a base, so I found a Hula Hoop in a Segunda and am in the process of re-doing it. You would have laughed at me trying to pantomime Hula Hoop to them. Apparently that wiggle-movement is universal, they knew immediately what I meant and produced 3 hoops for my selection. 

Today I'm cooking roast chicken/stuffing/potatoes/gravy for our friends Delfie and Jose, who were down with a bug for Thanksgiving. I couldn't find turkey for sale anywhere in the 2 villages, (yes, I had to pantomime TURKEY because I forgot the word. It cracked them up, all my gobbling...) but the chicken is almost good enough. That's when we get back from the village today: Ron has to go to the pharmacy to pick up his blood test results.

3 comments:

  1. I came across your blog on expose your blog. I will be back to read more. I find it interesting you live in Mexico. I lived in an RV 5th wheel for a year 8 years ago. We traveled all over, even went to rocky point, Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're going to be really busy up to Christmas with all of the quilts. Hopre it's going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fat bastard is gorgeous. i'm a follower now, your blog looks really interesting.
    keeping the water up to those birds is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete