Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Great Dinner!

As an atheist, I don't buy the whole heaven concept. I do believe most strongly that after death, our soul/spirit/essence continues in a parallel plane of existence, sort of vibrating-but-just-out-of-reach. I also believe these souls sometimes drift across and contact us, often in that just falling asleep or just waking up moment of loosened consciousness. You know when you suddenly think of someone that's been gone many years, out of the blue? I believe it's because that soul just touched you.

I often think of people I've lost, wish I could get answers to unresolved questions, wonder if they have any current awareness of my thoughts and deeds. Make sure they know how much they're missed.

Anyway, last week while I was watching The Price Is Right (my husband rarely misses it, and would be apoplectic to know I just wrote that, but he never reads my blog), they had a Showcase that seemed like I had chosen it personally, including a bass boat. This made me ponder what else I'd select to win in a perfect made-for-me Showcase. Soon I was thinking:

What if there was a Showcase where you could win a dinner anywhere you want with any 10 people in history you want? (I know, my mind goes to strange places sometimes.)

So I made my list. It wasn't easy, because there are some people I'd like to ask questions of, but certainly wouldn't want at my dinner table. Attila. The Donner Party...

Picture this group being seated at Gordon Ramsay's Restaurant in Chelsea, UK:

1.   My Dad. My Hero.
2.   Ella Fitzgerald, for sheer delight and entertainment.
3.   John Muir, the naturalist with true vision and a path.
4.   Lucy, the Australopithecan.
5.   D.B. Cooper. I just want to know.
6.   J.R.R. Tolkien, just to see how his mind works.
7.   John Belushi, funniest man who ever lived.
8.   Robin Hood, the real one, another hero.
8a. Geronimo,  a backup in case Robin Hood is fictional.
9.   Helen Keller. I understand she was a hoot!
10. Amelia Earhart. Another "I just want to know".

And here's what it would look like, with apologies to da Vinci and Christians everywhere. Click on it to enlarge:
L to R: Muir, Keller, Hood, Lucy, Tolkien, Fitzgerald, Dad, Me, Earhart, Geronimo, Belushi, Carey and Barker.


Who would you want, and where would you eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment