Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Crafty Side

I figure I've entered the last 1/3 of my life, sort of a sobering thought. The first third was all just a set-up for the second third (which turned out to be CONSEQUENCES of one's actions), and now the last third has me scrambling for the punchline. Which so far seems to be "Seriously???"

In my next life, I'll know how to deal with life's punches sans alcohol, isolation, or avoidance. But in this go-round, I seem to have an inordinately high requirement for both solitude and instant gratification. I've always taken to heart my dad's most sage bit of advice: Choose a career where you'll love going to work every day. Well, that didn't happen (seriously, dialysis nurse?) but it did provoke me to find alternate sources for both solitude and instant gratification. People really should be able to make a living doing something they love. In most cases, it won't be lucrative enough and will need to be supplemented by work one doesn't love quite so much. Sucks, but it's been a reality for me and most people I know.

So, crafts. I've found men like to make fun of women who do craftwork. "It's worthless, it's a waste of time and resources, nobody wants it, it's tacky." I feel sorry for those tiny little minds. Craft-making is a hobby, and men have hobbies too. Even something as deceptively slothful as sitting in a lawnchair and observing the human condition is a hobby. I find men's hobbies are more expensive generally. DirecTV's NFL package is $335.00 (sports-watching, their main hobby), not to mention golf, fishing or hunting. So a $10 bag of yarn is nothing in the grand scheme of things...

The division of labor in our Mexican paradise is hobby-based. My husband's hobby here is beautifying the yard, but he calls it work. Therefore all the other work falls to me, because his hobby requires physical exertion and he's too tired to do the dishes or vacuum. He does do laundry, though, because the washer and clotheslines are in his domain and he can multi-task. It can take me all day to wash dishes if the bird-watching's good enough...
Ron's cactus-driftwood fence. Click to enlarge, it's great!

Ron's rock-paved walkway, partially complete


I just love creating something useful or beautiful or just delightfully quirky from something else. It's even better if someone else wants to buy it.

There's a website called  Etsy

It's a place to sell handmade stuff, and has a burgeoning viewer base, people wanting quality and uniqueness. I've had very few sales, but then I don't work at the marketing side of it. You can spend some serious money marketing your shop, which sort of defeats my purpose. But there are support groups, forums, advice, contests, and TONS of great items for sale. Best place to find one-of-a-kind gifts.

So to satisfy my creative urges, I go hole up in the RV (Craft Central) for long blocks of time, designing, assembling, and photographing what I hope to be saleable items. I also am now able to crochet, wet-felt, and watch TV at the same time. Multi-tasker, that's me. Some day I'll be discovered. All it would take is for Angelina Jolie or Katie Holmes to buy a pair of my baby booties
or for Project Runway to want my seashell-and-pottery-shard necklaces.

I also make things for Dylan and Nora (smallest grandbabies, at 3 and 5 young enough they might forget me in my long winter absences), things that they'll see daily and think "My Gramma Barb made me this!"
Nora's Mutant Bunny Slippers

Dylan's Fish Slippers
So when my attention span's long enough, I can execute a project or two daily and feel fulfilled. I can go back to Minnesota and work summers in dialysis as long as I have crafts and grandbabies to come home to. (This is my last year of that, can I have a heartfelt HOO-RAH!)

So back to dishwashing and vacuuOH! I HEAR ORIOLES!

7 comments:

  1. Great Blog, Barb! I finally took a look at it today. How much longer are you going to be in Kino? We left 2 weeks ago Tuesday and have been in AZ. We'll head home to Colorado on Thursday.
    Hope we get to see you next year.
    Diane Ellison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to sell stuff of Etsy. I sold my paintings. Then Etsy raised their prices so I stopped. I didn't sell very many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family McCormick, aka, JulesMarch 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM

    You guys are awesome. The yard looks amazing, I would love to see more pictures. And, as always, you are the most creative woman I know. We all miss you like crazy cakes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so hear you on the price difference between our hobbies and theirs. On the division of work, my husband isn't allowed to touch the laundry but he sure knows how to make a toilet bowl sparkle.

    Connie, there's a site similar to Etsy called Artfire. I don't belong to either, but from what I can figure out, there's no cost to list your items on Artfire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bunny and fish slippers are super cute. Where can they be found on Etsy?

    I agree with you that we should all find jobs in life that we love. Unfortunately, that is usually not reality for most.

    BTW, keep crafting away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It only costs 20 cents to list on Etsy.

    The slippers are listed in my shop Hot Wet Wool, link on the right side of my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You run out of things to say, or are you back in the frigid country?

    ReplyDelete