Saturday, December 18, 2010

Time In A Bottle

June 1980. Newly separated from my husband, I had just moved into a tiny walk-up apartment in the gay district of Minneapolis. Quite naive, I didn't even know it was a gay district. Over 2 weeks, knowledge dawned. But there was this man across the street...

Tall, slim, resembled a young Clint Eastwood, usually alone. I bemoaned the idea he might be gay, living there. Our balconies were across from each other, and after eyeing each other those two weeks, I'd almost decided to check it out. But then one evening, I watched as he left his balcony and came back out onto the street below. He was carrying something glass. As he crossed the street, he looked up at me, grinned, and then disappeared under my balcony. A minute later, there was a knock on my door. Secured entrance my ass! I opened the door to this very handsome man holding most of a jug of wine, and he asked if I wanted to share it with him. I let him in. Turned out he wasn't gay, and he actually never left...

We've been married almost 29 years. And I kept that bottle. Almaden Mountain White Chablis.


My friend Karen makes and sells these GORGEOUS beaded wine bottle covers and stoppers ( I call them dresses and hats), and I now own 2 sets. "The Bottle" is now wearing a dress and hat befitting it's status.




I just LOVE those quirky stoppers!

3 comments:

  1. aaaaw..some story! how romantic!
    I quite like the quirky beady thingy's too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat story about how you met your husband. I love the bottle decorations too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great start to a great romance, you two! And I love the bottle adornments, too. Very fitting.

    ReplyDelete