Thursday, December 15, 2011

Birthday Report

I turned 59 yesterday, and no, I don't feel different. I've been trying to remember what my parents were like at 59, and it's so fuzzy. (We were living in Julian, CA.) Dad wasn't home much, travelling as the Kinney Shoes upper midwest window trimmer. I think my mom had retired. I know they were busy and involved with my brother's kids a lot. My general impression is I'm tired-er at 59 than they were at 69...

Yesterday was a hoot! It started with my husband having again screwed up getting me a birthday present, so I was granted carte blanche on EBay and ordered a new pair of Birkenstocks. Rather bling, don't you think? They'll be here by Christmas.
Then I got picked up by my neighbor Karen, along with Grace and Jan, and was driven to Jorge's restaurant. We were 13 total, we Ladies Who Lunch, and they bought me TWO grande margaritas, a half-order of steamed clams, and a bowl of tortilla soup, always great. PLUS presents! They were all told no gifts, but they could buy me a drink instead. In retrospect, 12 drinks might have been 10 too many...
I have a new Demdeco "Free Spirit" from Bette, a hand-crafted silver wire bird's-nest pendant from Karen, those Navajo earrings EXACTLY like the ones I was coveting a few days ago in Delfie's house, the gorgeous crystal beaded drop to hang in a window from Grace, that double-strand turquoise necklace from Joyce, and Jan made that rose brooch with clamshells!  Plus this gorgeous plate from my friend Zee, the only non-WHR/Dos Palmas friend.
Earlier, Sal gave me a potted rose plant, and Jill gave me a bottle of good gin. Jan's hubby John baked me a huge batch of Toll-House cookies. What great friends!

Here's a group shot of us.

From bottom left, Marion, Maggy, Bette, Joyce, Karen, me, Zee, Grace, Delfie, Sal, Joan, and Jill.

More shots: (no, nobody was drinking shots...)
Jorge and granddaughter Natalia serenading us!
Sal and Bette left us to chat up our neighbor Jerry...
No photo of Jan because she was behind the camera. Here's Jan.



Then they poured me into the truck and delivered me home, where my husband made me a gooey, chocolate birthday cake. You all know Boots, Jaq's dog. He helped.

It was a grand day out, with a  chocolate cake and Survivor and X-Factor finale. Laughter, song, presents, good food, great drinks. There isn't much more, is there? Well, family.
But these women ARE my family.

Happy Birthday Girl

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Those margaritas look great.My husband told me he wants a pitcher of margaritas for Christmas. I am 57 and my husband is 59.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had a great day. Your friends sound like the best kind of second family to have. I gotta ask...what's with the flourescent back support?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno why it's fluorescent (it's borrowed) but he has pinched nerves in his lumbar spine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Barb! You look great for 58! oops 59! I'm only a few months behind you. You sure have some cool friends and a sweet husband!

    ReplyDelete