Friday, December 23, 2011

Our ATV Ride

December 22nd, middle of winter, and Ron and I went exploring on the ATV. (Minnesota winters are rapidly dimming in my memories.)

Ron had seen earlier what looked to be a mine or cave high up on a rocky hill. We rode as far as the road goes, then started climbing.


The terrain was mobile granite-quartz rubble, interspersed with cholla cacti, thorny trees and bushes, and I am 100% inexperienced. Hard climb. Lots of rest stops. As we got closer, we could see the opening better.


Square, looked to be hand-hewn out of the rock, no sign of timber shoring, and absolutely no sign of a path, tailings, nothing. I had to quit about 2/3 of the way up. (I now know for a fact that only people who actually still have cartilage in their knees should attempt climbing.) I sat on a rock and examined rocks for an hour. Ron continued on and took the camera. I kept hearing "WOW!" OH WOW!"

Looking inside door of cave
View out from door of cave
View down from top.
Back wall and floor of cave
He said there were no artifacts, no sign of recent habitation, but maybe evidence of fires. His flashlight was weak, but he thought the cave went back 40 feet or so. Very cool, probably very old to have zero traces of any kind of path?

The return "slide" to where we parked the ATV was much faster. I'm still picking out thorns!

Then we drove over to a beach inlet, where we saw dozens of holes in the sand.



One hole had sand flying out of it, and I said "WOW! Maybe a turtle burying eggs?" Then a large brownish furry thing backed out of it, beaver-size, and went right back in. GOTTA go check that out! I left Ron up on the cliff, and made my gimpy way down. As I got closer I could see this:



Ron called down "What is it?' and I said "A squirrel?" As I got around behind him, I could see he was a tad larger than a squirrel:


He suddenly realized he wasn't alone, and backed out and started running. Scared me!

Turned out to be a BADGER! I had interrupted his meal, a 1/2 eaten crab.

I looked into all the other holes, and only one had any evidence of a find:

Ravaged turtle eggs!
He had struck the jackpot there, I can't believe he would dig all those holes at random, hoping for a cache. There must be a scent or sign?

Anyway, it was a grand day out. However, my knees are much worse the day after, and need babying. And a walking stick and meds and heat and ace wraps. Geez...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barb
    Have been meaning to leave a comment as I do enjoy reading your blog. Look forward to seeing you in January.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb,This is great! I was just there after x-mas. My son sent me this blog from Cartagena Colombia! This is Luis. Hope to see you in two weeks!

    ReplyDelete