Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hurry Up and Wait

So I got the job. I'm going to work a 13 week contract in Show Low, Arizona, hopefully the last gig of my career. I've never done the "Travel Nurse" thing before, because I really hate learning a new job, with new people, new policies and procedures, new everything. Old is familiar, old is comfortable, old is Macaroni and Cheese. Cinnamon toast. My flannel flamingoes-and-campers pajama pants...

I was packed before I even got the job, OCD that I am. All I had to throw in were the toiletry bags (yes, plural). There are a gazillion Travel Nurse agencies, and all supply a FURNISHED apartment. The one I chose, AMN Nurses Rx, does as well, but upon questioning I discovered their cupboards are bare. So I packed minimally for a three month stay, and luckily duplicates were available as we have a stocked RV in addition to the casita. Not wanting to leave items in the bed of the truck, exposed to thieves and the elements, I did NOT include large things I can pick up cheaply on arrival (laundry basket, trash can, etc.) Did I forget anything? Certainly, continue reading...

So far, I'm still in Phoenix, where my orientation will be. I drove up on May 1 and checked into one of those extended stay hotel suites: full kitchen, tiny living room, bedroom, bathroom, 3 days for $200. My employer won't begin paying until May 5. Went to a grocery store for essentials. Came back to my kitchen to discover what I thought  was an oven wasn't. It's a dishwasher. There's a 2-burner range, microwave, full fridge with icemaker, toaster, coffeemaker, but no oven. So the frozen pizzas aren't going to do me much good...

May 2nd was a nightmare. Post office first to pick up our forwarded mail, as my Minnesota Nursing License renewal was in there, and I needed that to apply for the Arizona one. Then to the Board of Nursing, completed packet in hand. After only an hour's wait, I was checked in and sent a few blocks away for fingerprinting, $12. Back to the Board, application processed, cough up $250, done. I could come pick up my license in 48 hours.

Next, 10:30 AM to the clinic for my medical clearance: drug screen, physical, blood test for hepatitis and rubella titers, and TB test. One hour waiting to be called, and then only to be given a stack of forms to fill out. Another hour before I'm called again, but merely to be informed that my employer is paying only for the drug screen, and please cough up $250. I may need to ask them for something for this cough. I've never in my 34 year career had to pay for pre-employment medical screening.

Another hour's wait and I asked to use the restroom. Big mistake. Twenty minutes later they called me to go pee in a cup for the drug screen, and I couldn't. Not a drop. I  drank a gallon of water and waited 30 minutes, and tried again. 2 drops, but they wanted more. More water, more waiting. I finally was able to produce their sample at 3 PM.

Back to the waiting room. After only an hour, I was shown to a cubical, where I shivered in a paper gown for 30 minutes. And then in a flurry of activity, I was given a physical, had my bloodwork drawn, given a TB test, and was all done at 5:30 PM. Only seven hours.

May 3: errands, mostly going back and forth to Staples to fax stuff to my employer. Had to buy scrubs, mine are in storage in Minnesota, except for two pair I use for jammies. $48.

May 4: I picked up my nursing license in the morning, and my medical results in the afternoon, and then faxed it all at Staples. Faxes are $1.79, EACH. Cough up $30.

I busted my ass getting all this done quickly because the manager at my Show Low clinic needed me to start ASAP. I was legal and ready to go Wednesday afternoon. Turned out THEIR orientation staff are unavailable until Tuesday, May 10. Yes. Six days to kill. No salary yet. Plus this coughing spell! Have already spent $1000 with diesel fuel. Fairly depressed and I miss my cat. Oh, and my husband...

So I've been shopping. Am getting my fix of thrift stores and yard sales, although yard sales in 100 degree heat are less than fun. Got a red cashmere cardigan, new with $159 tag, for $3 at Goodwill!

I eat Jack-In-The-Box tacos every day. 2 for 99 cents and I get 6. They're small.

Yesterday they had to replace my fridge in my suite after I discovered soupy ice cream when I tried to have some for breakfast. The ice cubes were fine, though. Weird, huh? Had to throw out all the other stuff in there, too. I think the hotel should reimburse me for that, but they said no.

So, the things I forgot. Something else occurs to me every couple of hours. Lamp. There's probably only overhead lighting, needed a desk/reading lamp, Goodwill $1. Pillows. Even if they ARE supplied, I don't want to sleep on someone's used pillow. $3 at Big Lots. I remembered my cocktail shaker, but not a lawn chair or a fishing rod. I brought 3 purses, none of them adequate enough to tote my laptop and paper files around: compartmented, padded shoulder tote 50 cents, yard sale.

Today I might go to the zoo. Or a movie. Or a bookstore. Or all three. Need to do laundry. The time will pass, I'm trying to view this as a vacation. Actual work is always such a shock after 6 months of sitting on the beach in a lawn chair...

4 comments:

  1. I'd have a major coughing spell too over all you've had to deal with thus far. Hopefully the situation improves soon.

    Love all those bargains you've found at thrift and discount stores and yard sales. I always appreciate a good bargain. Looks like you've found a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you remembered to miss hubby! OMG as to the rest of the crap you are dealing with. Me thinks that if 'they' have all those todo things they should be doing the coughing up! Anyway glad you got your need to priorities right like the fishing rod! Hang in there, only 3 more sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Show low is up at a higher elevation so it should be cooler than Phoenix. Sounds like you got some great buys at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting the job but a big BOO to all the coughing.

    ReplyDelete