Monday, May 30, 2011

One Down, Two To Go!

My three month contract in Show Low Arizona is almost 1/3 done. The time's going fast, which is great because I'm SO homesick for my casita and my cat. Oh, and my husband.

I have three days off in a row, but too low on funds to go far or do anything that costs money. The first day was spent recuperating from work, as always. My feet and knees just kill me. I was limping around work Friday singing that song from the musical Most Happy Fella, "Ooh, my feet!" Can't believe I'm that old, nobody there ever heard of it.

This Memorial Day weekend, the entire town collectively decided to have garage sales. In Minnesota, you put up a neon sign on a stick, or staple it to a pole. Here they write on the side of a cardboard carton weighed down with a rock. Almost every corner has a mass of boxes with arrows pointing everywhere. I've continued to try to add color to this drab apartment. Here's a $1 find:
Basset Hound Poster
I hung it over the sofa.
I painted the frame the same color as the swan...
I found TWO of these, and got the owner down to $5 for both. Rusty wrought iron cats, with tacky silk flowers in a highball glass. They'd look better with little cacti in them. They're identical, not truly a pair, so I think I'll give one to my neighbor Eileen in Kino. She likes cats, but only has dogs.

And last is a free bamboo calendar from the Chinese restaurant:

No, I really don't have a place for the Bassett Hound poster in my casita or RV. It might just get left behind, a nice surprise for the next tenant...I'm keeping the Jack Sparrow poster though, even if it has to go on the back of the bathroom door or something. The cat and swan planters can live outside.
OMG, those eyes!


Yesterday, MyYahoo said we had a severe weather warning here. I'm used to severe weather warnings that precede heavy wet things pelting down. Turned out it was just wind, with gusts to 60 mph. And it blew my new bird feeder off my patio railing and I spent a good hour sweeping up birdseed. I hope to go fishing today, it's less windy. Yesterday I finally found Rainbow Lake: it looked like you could surf on it. There are rafts of ducks there, so I'll bring them my 3/4 loaf of stale bread. I've GOT to learn to freeze stuff, I waste so much. They should sell 1/2 loaves of bread.

And check this out! Here are two receipts from yesterday. (Sorry about the blurry phone photo, GEEZ I miss my camera.) Both are two $1 purchases, McDonald's and Family Dollar Store. McDonald's added 23 cents tax and Family Dollar added 18 cents. What's up with that? I don't ever remember paying over 10% sales tax ANYWHERE.


OK, sun's nicely up and time to get outside. I'm going to see if there's a place where I can wash my own truck at this apartment complex. If not,  the fish are beckoning...

1 comment:

  1. The apartment is starting to look down right home like! Congrats on 1/3 being done! Hang in!

    ReplyDelete