Thursday, November 26, 2009

The BAD part of full-time RVing...

...are holidays and birthdays without family and friends back home. Today is Thanksgiving, typically associated in my memory with a houseful of relatives, great smells from the kitchen, and plans for Christmas and upcoming birthdays. (Many in my family were December arrivals.)

Holidays in our Mexico RV community are sort of pitiful. Our member resort next to us cooks the turkey, and we RVers bring the trimmings, plus our own plates, cutlery, and drinks. The air's too soft and warm, salt breezes off the water. No giggling, shrieking toddlers, no football on TV, no nip in the air or any hint of winter approaching. I won't be eating Freeda's cranberry salad,  Edie's beets'n'pineapple, Andie's bread or Terry's gravy. And I don't get all caught up with everyone's news and plans.

Thanks to cyberspace, I do get to "talk" to many in the family, some regularly, right from the casita. Others I don't hear from: either out-of-sight-out-of-mind, or not into computer contact. And I miss them all, and will be thinking of them often throughout the day today, with love and sadness. I usually get teary once or twice on holidays and birthdays "away" and wish I wasn't here.

Addendum: (Whispered) They didn't have gravy, only "jus". Pitiful... 


Eddie on the right, park manager



 
Pat (standing) looks like my dad. I call him Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment