Friday, November 20, 2009

Mexico Life

Yesterday was fairly typical of the throbbing, hectic existence we endure here. Although I was up too early again, I was glad at the time, because I would have missed the cardinals. Six cardinals came to visit my yard, singing their little hearts out at 4 AM.

In the morning DH (hubby Ron) was supposed to go try to help a neighbor get his internet working. Happens a lot here, satellite equipment baffles a lot of this "older segment of society". But the neighbors weren't home, so we went on to the village for dog food and toilet parts. (The flapper broke, probably a casualty of the bad water.) Dog food is sold in small baggies here: it's painfully obvious from the starved appearance of the dogs in the streets that the locals can't afford dog food. The poverty is heartbreaking. We needed more than a baggy or two (Ella weighs 100 pounds), so drove the extra 40 km. to Calle Doce (12th street), a bigger village with two actual grocery stores. (Our village Bahia Kino only has 7-11 type stores, called bodegas.) Found and bought the dog food, some eggs (bring your own carton), and more tortilla chips. Also beer and toilet parts. In the grocery store, we met a pair of newby RVers from Canada, looking for a liquor store for Margarita ingredients. They don't have liquor stores here, but every bodega and grocery store carries an assortment. One may have to visit several to find everything to make them from scratch, or drive another 60 kms. to The City (Hermosillo) and go to Costo or Sam's Club. We're not that picky, just use Cuervo mix and tequila.

Drove back to Kino, stopped for fuel, and then home noonish. Neighbors were now home, so DH went over and fixed their internet. Then to the beach. This time we took the truck and the dog, and drove about two miles up the beach to "The Christmas Tree" ( a bottle-festooned cactus, landmark for a good fishing spot). Since the hurricanes, the beaches are littered with an amazing assortment of debris. We were actually looking for a dead giant squid to cut up for bait, but didn't find one. Filled the bed with firewood instead, and my fat dog got some exercise swimming.

Back from the beach at 5PM and stopped at the RV park clubhouse, where they were starting Happy Hour. Chatted a bit, but since we had the dog with us, we didn't stay. Home in time to watch another terrific sunset, then fixed supper (last night's beef/rice/peppers/onions/cheese casserole rolled into burritos and nuked, with beans on the side. Hey, I'm not a cook) Must have been good, DH ate four. Watched Survivor (Oh that Russell, what a character!) and CSI, and then I went to bed, and slept WELL, til 4AM today.

Today I'll do laundry and vacuum dog hair, and DH will repair the toilet. I may try to make a big Christmas wreath of cactus skeletons and seashells for the outside casita wall. Tonight we're grilling marinated venison for the neighbors, a reciprocation for the shrimp they fixed for us a week ago.

Other bits here and there include watering my cactus garden daily, walking the cat on his leash, crocheting, and watching TiVo'd stuff that DH doesn't like (Super Nanny, Cash in the Attic, What Not To Wear). I'll usually chat with my Ex or SILs on Windows Live Messenger every day,

Went to a dinner and show on DH's birthday Tuesday, a local Jimmy Buffet-like singer, Mark Mulligan. It was in a hotel courtyard, and we went in a large group and had lots of laughs.

 

That's me and DH on the right, and friends Maggie and Harold on the left. God, I'm fat.



So it sounds a bit boring and a lot self-indulgent when it's all down in print like this. I would never in a million years have imagined I'd be leading this sort of life at darn near 57 years old. It's not ALL glorious indolence and contentment, because I miss the grandkids so much it causes actual pain. Plus, there are two friends missing from the park this year AGAIN that I love and wish were here: Delfie and Jose feel like family to me. But I have my DH, my cat and dog, my beach, my casita, my crafts, village outings, and my TiVo. Life is good.

Time to take my coffee up on the roof palapa to watch the sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment